This blog is about living well and enjoying the finer things but doing so and saving where you can. I am no stranger to nice things and when we made the family decision for me to leave the security of teaching to be freelance we knew we would need to make changes to our spending for me to save more.
Raising teenagers is also much more expensive than raising toddlers in my experience. Since leaving teaching we have still have had our holidays in five-star resorts and I still have designer handbags! Plus the teens are often asking for brands that I have never even heard of!
Olivers Travels have put together this fun infographic looking at how we can make luxurious choices with our disposable income.
Looking the list there is a number that I can tick off. I have done afternoon tea at The Ritz thanks to my best friend booking it for my 40th birthday. Flying first class is on my bucket list and I have yet to achieve this and I am surprised that could be achieved in six months if I was a smoker who decided to give up (I actually gave up straight after University).
Which of these would you make swaps for?
My Easy Saving Swaps: Save More to Live Better
- Giving up take away coffee’s on the work commute. Make it a treat rather than an everyday spend. Maybe just treat yourself in the mid week slump on a Wednesday and make it a happy hump day instead. This could save you £10 per week.
- Make your lunches rather than buying those meal deals. I often find that the days before dinner can be jazzed up for lunch. My teens love a cold sausage sandwich or pasta meal in their lunch box. This could save £3 per day or £15 per week.
- Save money on car parking by lift sharing or parking further away and walking in. I try to park for free whenever I can. This saves me a significant amount each month.
- Yellow stickers, I love a bargain shop in the supermarket and this includes the top end food shops like Marks and Spencer. Sunday afternoons are made for yellow sticker shopping!
- Use vouchers wherever possible. I use apps to find these deals.
- Last one for today is when buying online make sure you use TopCashBack this has given me over £100 of free money this year. I saved this whilst spending. That £100 can now be used to hire a limo should I wish to!
Let me know what everyday swaps you could implement and what you would then treat yourself too.