Being more aware of my spending was my focus this year. Taking the leap from teaching to freelancing meant that I needed to cut back on some of my frivolous spends. I didn’t want the children’s lives and expectations to be any different just because I was leaving secure work for a better work life balance, to make me happier and be at home more but it would require me to be a little more frugal.
Going without has never been my mantra, my mantra is about getting more for less! And I am quite good at that especially now I have more time. I do think it is easier to save money when you have time to go to different stores and time to browse for deals.
1. This week I spotted a fab denim skirt from Warehouse in a charity shop, it was £4.50 in great condition, barely worn (denim is so tough that it wears well anyway) this easily saved me £20 if I was buying new.
2. I also complained to a department store via email that I was not happy with the cleanliness of the restuarant. I even had taken a few pictures on my phone. I was then offered a refund and goodwill gesture for my disappointment. Often it is worth complaining.
3. I have already shared how I had some free girly treats with the teen.
4. I did a mystery shop which meant I got some shampoo for free and was paid for the questionnaire too.
5. Finally I had a sort out of Erin’s clothes and have listed them on Ebay to sell. I tend to charity shop the everyday stuff but any designer pieces I try to sell. If they don’t sell they head to the charity shop themselves.
These simple things have equated to me saving £45 plus whatever I make on Ebay. Not bad for simple savings. I haven’t braved the Tesco 7pm bargains like usual this week as I have a coold and just don’t have the stamina to take on the hustlers!
I would also like to draw your attention to an important part of the blogging year. It is the annual time to nominate your favourite blogs for the MAD Blog awards. Last year I was thrilled and honoured to make it to the finals in the Outstanding Contribution Category for my work on raising awareness of DDH over at Emma and 3 This year I would again love to get to the finals and the award cermony. Therefore I would appreciate a nomination for www.mumssavvysavings.com in the Thrifty Category and if you are so inclined www.emmaand3.com in schooldays. This would make me feel all fuzzy inside! You can nominate on this link