Decorating your home can be a challenge at the best of times for ensuring your style is translated perfectly into your living space isn’t an easy feat. However, what makes it more difficult is when you have a tight financial budget to be mindful of; a lot of fashionable interior designs come with a costly price tag. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to redecorate on a budget and still reach your desired finish. These handy tips work for every room of your home, and will become part of your decorating bible for years to come.
- DIY is arguably one of the cheapest ways to freshen up your home, and contrary to popular belief you won’t need a hammer or drill for every new project. Inject some colour into your home by creating some cute pompoms accessories, such as garlands and rugs. It will turn even the most tired of spaces into a fun area, and best of all you get to recapture fond childhood memories.
- Before you decide to throw away that old piece of furniture because ‘it doesn’t go’ anymore, why not consider upcycling instead? Second hand items need only a throw, paint job, or a sanding down and they can transform into something more in-keeping with your decor. You can take the old family sofa, add some blankets and throws, mixed in with some textured cushions and you have a whole new look for next to nothing.
- Another money smart idea to always have at the fore when decorating is to check out the latest sales. Even though we can refurb many household objects, some pieces we simply can’t, and this is where smart online shopping comes to the rescue. By choosing to save money on a mattress at Bedstar, to name but one example, you can keep your accounts in the green and still savour the comforts of a fresh new bed. Our bedrooms are one of the most important rooms of our homes, so ensuring you’re comfortable is key.
- Textiles are a must when redecorating, so if there’s only one element of your home you can afford to change, make sure to devote the money to your curtains and drapes. A change of material, patterns, and thickness of your curtains can completely transform the feel of a room; light drapes give an airy spring vibe, while thick, heavy drapes give warmth for winter.
- Learn to play with scale. By focusing on one large piece of artwork, furniture or decoration, you can add a dramatic sense of grandeur to any space, big or small. This subtle shift in organising your living quarters can have a huge impact on the atmosphere of a room, thus changing the overall feel of your home without even having to spend a penny. It isn’t always an easy decorating tip to master, but once you nail it the differences are quite pronounced.
Whichever way you decide to freshen up your home, whether you decide to recycle a charity shop find or take advantage of a mattress sale, there are many ways to work around budget restrictions.