Did you know 25% of your energy bills is spent on heating water? And cutting your family’s showering time by only one minute each can cut £120 a year from your energy and water bill?
This is a huge saving for very little effort. We need to be aware of just how much water we are using and how we can reduce this. I have been looking at how we can save water in our home.
- Only fill the kettle with what you need. It is easy to over fill the kettle when you are only needing enough for a coffee.
- Encourage showering rather than baths. My son always opts for showers but I need to work on this with the girls who both prefer baths!
- Reduce time spent in the shower.
- Reuse the washing up water to water the flowers.
- If you have a condenser tumble drier use the water in there to top up the pond or use in the garden.
- Have a water butt in the garden to collect water which can then be used in the garden
- Only flush the chain when needed
Save Water Save Money – work with the water boards to try and get households to save water and save money – they have just launched a new free water saving calculator online. This will really help advise you of how to reduce your usage. Save Water Save Money have the water calculator here which you can use.
The Water Savings Calculator, which takes no more than ten minutes to complete, provides you with a unique water usage report showing how much water, energy and money is going down the drain around your home and provides personalised tips and advice to help you save. Based on this information and your region, you will then receive a free personalised Water Saving Box in the post*, which includes water saving devices to help you save up to £95 a year.
Save Water Save Money also have a giveaway for Mums savvy savings readers. This competition prize pack is worth £57 and will include:
Everything in the pack will be designed to help you save money and will include:
New shower head
Cistern Displacement packs
To enter simply fill in the rafflecopter. Closing date 28/03/2016, UK only