Have you spotted a kindness rocks message yet in your local community? Last week when Erin and I were walking our puppy in a local playing field we found a painted rock with a message written on it. It made us smile. A little further on we found another and then realised it was a thing. The thing is Kindness Rocks.
Kindness Rocks started in America but has found its way across the water. The premise is simple and wants everyone who finds a rock to join the movement. You can read about it here. I really liked the idea after finding our first rock. I want to teach Erin about kindness and just randomly doing acts of good and this seems a good way to start. Like many 8 year olds, she has some friendship issues going on. I just want her to ask is that kind behaviour, and I am using kindness rocks as a tool to those conversations. Making these rocks has given us the opportunity to chat about such issues and also look up some inspirational quotes.
Making kindness rocks is also a frugal activity. All you need are the pens that can write on stones, something like these Uni-posca Paint Marker Pen – Extra Fine Point – Set of 12 which are currently on offer in Amazon.
How to make the kindness rocks:
- Collect some pebbles, find some on a beach. If you don’t live local to pebbles you can buy them from Amazon and many come with free delivery like these Natural White Decorative Garden Plant Topper Stones.
- Decorate the kindness rocks however you please but also add a positive or happy thought.
- When out walking leave the rocks for others to find. Good places include on stiles where you climb into fields. Also, leave them on popular walking trails near you.
Quotes you can leave include, but are not limited to the following:
- Be happy
- Be happy for this moment, this moment is your life
- Life is full of happiness and tears. Be strong and have faith
- The most simple things can bring the most happiness
- Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted
- people just deserve to be treated with kindness
- Live each day as if your life had just begun
- Believe you can and you’re halfway there
- Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.
- Do let me see your kindness rocks by tagging me on Twitter or sharing in the comments.