It has been suggested that the level of self-employment in the UK increased from 3.8 million in 2008 to 4.6 million in 2015. This is a huge rise which looks set to continue. There is certainly a growing presence of women working from home and starting their own small business.
This largely appeals to mums because it can give them the flexibility to work around childcare and set their own hours. There are a number of cottage industries on the rise from working online, working in beauty and childcare. My own hairdresser set up a salon in home. The sports massage therapist I use works from a treatment room in her home. These anecdotes show that women are looking for flexibility when earning. I left the classroom three years ago to bite the bullet and work for myself. I now earn money in a wide range of ways and wouldn’t go back to working for someone else in a hurry!
I have been working from home for the past three years and there are many advantages. However in order to be professional it is advisable to set yourself up with a work space and tools of the trade.
Top Tips to Successfully Work from Home:
- Have a designated work space. I work from our study where I am able to spread out and have all I need at my fingertips. I have designed my workspace to be inspiring with positive affirmations and minimal clutter.
- Buy good quality office furniture to keep your work space defined, this can include cheap office chairs because you want to keep your expenditure low in the early years.
- Use an accountant as they will save you money in the long run. It is one hassle I prefer someone else to take responsibility of. Many will use Xero for UK Startups as it is ideal for small businesses.
- Create a business plan and set yourself goals. I work best when I have a clear vision and therefore I set myself goals each month.
- Network whenever you can. There are many opportunities to network in your local community and bring new clients to your door.
- Be active on Social Media and set up business pages to promote yourself.
- If you work with clients you may want to get a second phone that is primarily a work phone. This way you can switch it off at the end of your working day.