Yesterday saw Chloe and I loading up the car ready to do our first car boot sale. We have a target of 2K to raise over the coming 18 months in order for her to go to Canada on sports tour after her GCSE’s. Chloe won’t be able to get a Saturday job as she dances most of the day and that is important to her and I think it is good for her to have that time to enjoy her dancing. Here I will share how we are going on the save 2K plan.
My top tips for doing a car boot sale.
1. Research what time sellers can be onsite from. We found out that sellers can pay £10 to be onsite before 10.30 when the sale starts at 12. If you arrive after 10.30 you have to wait until 12 which is the same time as the buyers arrive and it costs £7. We paid the extra £3 and were glad we did as we had a little more time to get prepared.
2. Do not be rushed or put off as people crowd your car on arriving. I had people asking me from the moment the car door opened if I had specific items – lego seemed popular!
3. Dress your stall, I had a pasting table and a clothes rail and therefore our stall looked appealing and we kept putting the best items to the front. You wouldn’t believe that just an hour later there were eight more rows of cars behind our stall.
4. Have a rough idea of prices and don’t be worried about saying no to a haggle at the start, drop prices later in the day.
5. Have a money box with plenty of change and also a stack of carrier bags for people.
6. Be friendly, chat to people I upsold especially on clothes by finding them other things they would like. We had at five customers that all bought lots of our stuff.
7. Prove electrical items work, I filmed the hoover I was selling and showed it via my phone, it sold to the first person who watched the clip.
8. Take snacks, drinks and a chair to sit on. You will be there a few hours.
Those were our tips, I didn’t let Chloe count the money as we went and I kept the notes in my own pocket but we got home she counted up. Chloe had estimated about £75 profit and I thought £120. We were thrilled that we had achieved £160.
Therefore we now are looking for another £1840